Sunday, April 10, 2011

6 months = Half a Year!! and Unemployment :)

Yesterday, April 9th marked 6 months of marriage for the Rencher Family!! And all I can say is- WOW! It truly has been the best 6 months of my life! Never a dull moment around here! From moving into our perfect little townhouse, Jeff getting a new job as a system engineer for a telemedicine company, Thanksgiving with the Erickson Fam, the birth of our new nephew Brexon!, Christmas with the Rencher fam and talking to my brother Dallin who is currently serving his mission in the Taiwan, Taipei Mission, weekends at the Rencher cabin in Pine, me getting acute bronchitis, our freakin-amazing honeymoon cruise to the Western Caribbean, discovering that my food allergy to water chestnuts is a lot worse than I thought..., celebrating St. Patty's day with the Erickson fam eating green pasta and green Jello, all the madness of March Madness and participating in my first bracket!, watching General Conference, and the grand finale of me {finally!} quitting my job!!- Let's just say, "Rencher" and "Adventure" rhyme for a reason :)

So back to me quitting my job.... Best. Day. Ever. I had been working for Capital Educators FCU for about 3ish years, and really truly enjoyed my time there. I learned a lot of skills that will benefit me for the rest of my life- mostly financial skills and people skills. I made some of my best friendships there, and was able to gain a lot of people-skills, since I was talking to (or sometimes "dealing with") the members of the credit union all day long. I had the opportunity to apply for and obtain a supervisory position while I was there, and learned a great deal from that experience. Probably the biggest lesson I learned was how to balance my inherent need to "people-please". But when a frustrated or even all-out pissed off person walks into our branch at the credit union, 9 times out of 10 I was the one who got to step in and fix the situation. Tough. Not fun. Irritating. But I developed a tough skin, and learned to brush things off and not take things personally. And I am grateful for those opportunities. But I always just saw this as a temporary means to an end, until I really figured out what I wanted to do with my life. As my friend and boss Jessica put it during my exit interview- "Some people are comfortable being in one position forever, and are perfectly happy doing that. I never really saw you as one of those people. Your creativity and drive and intelligence I knew would lead you to bigger things, once the opportunity was right." Bingo! What better time than now, while Jeff and I are free of kids, mortgage, car payments, etc... to do a little bit of self-discovery! I plan on spending the next few months just exploring what I enjoy and getting my feet wet in as many areas as I can. Exciting? Absolutely!!
And now to tackle a few nagging items that have been pushed to the back-burner the past several months... Getting back in shape and organizing our spare room. I'm more nervous for the latter of the two.... I'm starting tomorrow morning. Can't wait!!
Okay, and I'll also make it a point to blog more. For those of you who get on me constantly about it... You know who you are :)

2 comments:

  1. wow you have definetly been busy!! :) since you have a little more free time and we get together please!!! lunch?! i am just home all day every day with Peyton.. i need some time out of the house! :) congrats on your 6 months anniversary! yay!!! and congrats on two blog posts in one month!!! woohoo! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mikaela congrats on quitting your job to do some self-discovery! You are so blessed to be in a position in life to do that! I miss you like crazy!

    ReplyDelete